jeudi 20 août 2009

Some dreams realized, others put on ice

Jessica Gregg clinches spot on short-track team, while Liam McFarlane falls out of the picture

Liam McFarlane of Medicine Hat, Alta. was disqualified as he fell crossing the finish line in first place.
Photograph by: Jenelle Schneider
Gary Kingston, Vancouver SunAugust 18, 2009

Jessica Gregg was nearly speechless. Liam McFarlane was near tears.

"I can't even almost speak," said the 21-year-old Edmonton native while proving exactly that. "I'm so excited. It's a dream come true."
Dreams were also realized for two other first-time Olympians. Mariane St-Gelais, 21, of St-Felicien, Que., also qualified for the 2010 team based on two second-place finishes in three 500s at the 10-day trials and Guillaume Bastille, 24, of Riviere-du-Loup, Que., earned a spot by winning the men's 1,500 on Monday.
But while the young Quebecers were celebrating, it was heartbreak for McFarlane, a 23-year-old development team skater who nearly pulled off the surprise of trials.
"I thought I was in, I thought I had it," he said after the disqualification was announced. "People fall all the time on the line. I was so happy, now I feel like I'm destroyed."
Skaters must cross the finish line in control.
Read all ...

Aucun commentaire: