jeudi 20 août 2009

Discretion is better part of making Games team

Amanda Overland (red outfit) at Turin Olympics.
Photograph by: Al Bello, Getty Images,

Gaggle still waiting, hoping for selection

By Terry Bell, The ProvinceAugust 19, 2009

Amanda Overland calls it a dream team.
Now all the 27-year-old short- track speed skater needs to do is handle the tension for a couple of days and hope a high-performance committee makes her its discretionary choice as the fifth member of Canada's 2010 Olympic women's squad.

"My head's on the chopping block a bit," said Overland, who wiped out -- along with Drolet and Maltais -- in Tuesday's 1,000 metres, a race won by Anne Maltais.
"Hopefully I'm up for the discretionary spot," continued Overland, a relay silver medallist at the 2006 Turin Olympics who had hip surgery in the spring after missing the 2008-09 season.
"I know I still have a lot more to give and I just hope they [the committee] see that. I have the fire and I have it in my heart. I believe I have a strong case." Overland has high hopes for the team come February: "It's basically a dream team --a beautiful bunch of skaters." On the men's side three skaters are certain of their places, while two more await the official word.
Read all ...

Aucun commentaire: